What’s Happening Now
N52 Tullamore to Kilbeggan Link Scheme
- The Project Team are continuing the seasonal Ecology Field Surveys that are required to be conducted throughout the course of the project. The N52 scheme has been designated by TII as a critical transport project to continue during the current COVID-19 lockdown.
- During the course of any survey, a staff member from RPS may need to access your lands within the Study Area. They will predominantly be seeking access to open fields and high ground vantage points. While there may be one or more of our staff members operating within the wider study area at any one time, these are typically lone-working surveys, and no attempt will be made by our staff to approach any dwelling.
- Our staff members will be working within strict COVID-19 protocols, and will be carrying proof of identification.
- Wintering Bird Surveys
- These will be progressing through late January and February, with follow-on surveys planned for later in the year (November/December).
- The January surveys will commence Thursday 21st January 2021, and to proceed until Friday 29th January 2021 (weekdays only).
- Surveys will be limited to non-invasive walk-over of lands, and pausing at possible vantage points for a period, to check for evidence of Wintering birds.
- The February bird surveys will be conducted at various times across the month, likely to involve several short visits each week within the month.
- Spring/Summer Surveys
- Further surveys required throughout the year include, mammal surveys (badger, otter, etc), aquatic surveys (Crayfish, Lamprey, Salmonid, etc), along with other habitat surveys as required.
- An update on the timeline for these surveys will be provided here in due course.
UAV Drone Flyover Survey
- The Project Team have commissioned a UAV Drone Flyover Survey of the Study Area in order to provide a comprehensive topographical ground model of the area. This is to aid the team in developing the design of the scheme, along with aiding in the identification of existing features (e.g. archaeology).
- The drone survey will involve a number of days of flyovers in good weather conditions, and will be ongoing for the last week of January 2021.
- There will be no access to lands or property required to conduct this survey.
The N52 Tullamore to Kilbeggan Link Scheme is now at the ‘Option Selection’ phase in accordance with the TII Project Management Guidelines.
Five Route Corridor Options have now been identified to proceed to Stage 2 of the Option Selection phase. View Route Corridor Options Map.
During this consultation, we are inviting feedback on the Route Corridor Options to inform the design of the project. The consultation is open from 6th November to 11th December 2020 inclusive.
- Ecology Walkover surveys are being carried out within the study area. These are to enable the identification of habitats, plants and animals.
- The development of initial route options is being progressed during this period. Consultation on the initial route options is planned for Q4 2020.
Phase 1 Concept & Feasibility stage is complete, and we are now at the Phase 2 Options Selection stage.
The Study Area and Scheme Constraints are being identified.
- We have identified the broad project study area within which the proposed road could feasibly be located.
- The project team is now in the process of identifying any constraints within this area that could impact on how and where the Scheme is designed.
- Constraints include Economic, Engineering and Environmental issues such as communities, industry, archaeological and environmental factors, that the project team needs to be aware of before it progresses to designing a route for the Scheme.